Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Letter #18: Jan 18, 1944

Jan 18 1944

Darling:

Today was Christmas for me!  Most of the things I expect arrived and I had a big day opening two packages from Fremont, one from Aunt Mable, one from Mom and Aunt May, and even a carton of cigarettes from Dobby!

Having asked for my pipe, etc, in a letter three days ago I was stunned to find it in the packages with funnies, the capsuled Sunday mag, sports section, airmail stationery, toothpaste, candy, books and family circle.

I wore the swell slippers (a kiss, darling!) on the cold concrete to the shower today, examined my whiskers in John's mirror, chewed John's gum, admired Rob's selection of books and the pretty jack-o-lantern drawing, looked up the difference in Washington and Bombay time in the diary and was properly awed by the handy apron from Grandma.  And of course the cigarets bore Dad;s stamp and were extremely welcome at this time though we expect a solid supply from now on.

I can't thank you all enough!  I have gorged on candy all day and thought of home even more than ever.  I'll write in more detail later, but wanted you to know in a hurry that I got the things.

P.S.  I've written Ruth and Aunt May (yesterday).  Thank Pete and Betty for their card.

All my love,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment