Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Letter #16: January 15, 1944

January 14/1944


Dear Robbie and John:

Can you imaging a country where it almost never snows?  Here it is the middle of January and there hasn't been a speck of snow or ice.  And I never need my coat or gloves.

Indian children never toss snowballs but other things just as much fun.  For instance, they ride in carts drawn by bullocks.  The carts have huge wooden that are solid instead of having spokes.  And instead of seats the carts sometimes have only planks to sit on -- they are something like little railroad flatcars except that the wheels are big.

The bullocks usually are fat and strong and the driver pokes them with a stick to make them trot or turn.  And always the big brass bells around their necks jingle merrily.

Please tell me, Robbie, how you like school.  You certanily must study very hard.  But please don't read too much or you may have to wear glasses as I do.

Johnnie, tell me about your playmates.  I imagine you must be tall enough by now to carry the piano upstairs.  But you needn't try to prove it.

Love from Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment