Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Letter #15: Dec 30, 1943

Dec. 30, 1943

Darling:

I'll repeat that there are packaged bound your way, tho please don't look for them soon.  One contains souvenirs for Rob, John, Dad, Jimmie and Bee.  The other is for you.  I'll try to remember others as I can, tho the shopping situation is not too good.

The holidays have been as pleasant as possible under the circumstances, but I couldn't help recalling the 1942 Christmas and others.  I missed the excitement of the kids opening their presents.  And I missed you even more deeply than usual.

This was far from a White Christmas.  It wasn't quite warm enough to go swimming, but I spent the day without a coat.  When I get home I'll be ready to take any seasons as they come!

The other day I reported for duty to Maj. R. C. Wittmans.  Yes -- he turned out to be from Lincoln!

So far I haven't been able to use my newspaper background, but I'm still hoping.  Of course, the big problem overseas is knowing what NOT to write.

Be assured that conditions in my present station are exceptionally good.  We have excellent food and beds and the finest of recreation halls.  So you needn't worry a moment about me.  In fact, what with the influenza epidemic and all, I'm concerned about the home front.  Do try to avoid mob scenes as much as possible while there's any risk.

On Christmas Day I heard a Bing Crosby overseas program.  It included many classics, including the now immortal "White Christmas."

I remember when Carl Gartner saw "Holiday Inn" and couldn't be convinced old Irving Berlin had written any hits.  The Great I Am told him "White Christmas" would be popular but I never suspected it would become a classic.

By the way, death of Fats Waller reminded me of his "Santa Claus" song -- the one I heard over and over on 40th St.  Remember?

All my love,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment