Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Letter #17 February 6, 1944

Feb 6, 1944

Dear Robbie and John:

I wish you had looked at the door of my office with me day before yesterday.

Galomping along the street came two of the biggest camels I ever saw.  You would need a step-ladder to pat them on their heads!

The looked very serious and sad, as camels always do.  But these camels should really have been smiling.  For each was pulling a great cage on rumbly wheels.   And in the cages, thought I got only a very fleeting glance, must have been all sorts of little wild animals.  I'm sure there must have been lots of monkeys, tho I only saw a few.  The rest were probably hiding.  Driving the great old wagons were fierce-looking dark men with big white turbans -- and even bigger mustaches.  One of them played a flute, or something more like a clarinet, I guess, though I really don't know the right name.

It was the first traveling circus I'd seen in India.  And that's rather off because there were circuses here long before there was a Fremont -- or even a United States!

Love to both of you,

Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment